Monday, January 21, 2013

How to: teach MLK Jr. Day in a Spanish high school

Since I have 16 classes and I only see them once a week each, U.S. holidays last for a long time in my world.  In honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, I've dedicated all my classes to him.  I've tweaked it for each age level, but for the most part we start off with a worksheet or reading comprehension about his life, talk about who he was, and explain why he was important.  Then, we listen to the last 5 minutes of "I have a dream" to practice listening.  The last part is a bit more complicated.  In a desperate attempt to incorporate all four parts of the holy "reading, writing, listening, and speaking" components, I decided to do a bit on what makes a great orator and how do we write/ form persuasive arguments? 

I've only tried this out with the seniors so far, and I told them they could write a serious composition (about politics, war, animal rights, etc.) or something crazy (like trying to convince me the sky is green.)  The results were great! These are two of my favorites! Click on them to make them larger!



No comments:

Post a Comment