Saturday, January 22, 2011

"I'm thorry, it was the thudio's dethithion"


Cesar & Marcos being "tough"
I recently watched the movie America's Sweethearts where Hank Azaria plays a Spaniard and has the worst accent.  When he wants to know why he can't go to a press junket, Billy Crystal says (without missing a beat, and most likely improvised) "I'm thorry, it was the thudio's dethithion." So espanish.  Since I've spent the last few post complaining about how American I am and how much I don't fit in here, I figured it was time to write about all the endearing things about Spain.

1.  My kids never hesitate to comment on my physical appearance.  Today, I was leaning over to help David with something.  I haven't cut my hair since June, and its incredibly long and hangs everywhere.  Maria started to run her hand along it and asked, "Did you straighten your hair?" and in fact, I had straightened it the night before.  In 1st grade, Aitana told me my skirt was "broken" because it had distressed rips in it, and Marcos told me I look better without my glasses. Thanks, Marcos, Thanks.  The kids always fiddle with any bracelets or rings I wear, and often don't listen to a word I'm saying because they're too busy just flat-out staring at me. "Do you know how to do braids Niki?" "I love your hair Niki" "Your earrings are so pretty Niki"

2. Monday through Thursday I have to stay anywhere from 1-2 hours after school in the tutoria de ingles (kind of like an English teacher's lounge) planning for my clases particulares.  It also conveniently involves less walking for me if I hang out at school and then head to the kids' houses.  Most of the time, a few of the faculty kids are in the tutoria and I can't get any work done, so I've resorted to playing games with them or quizzing them on vocabulary.  The other day, Linda's daughter (who just turned 11) told me, "Niki, parece que a los ninos les encantas" (Niki, it seems like kids love you). It made me and Yolanda, the English teacher who was in the tutoria at the time, really laugh.

3. Last week the jefa de estudios (kind of like the vice principal) asked me to help her with her English conversation skills.  She's taking an exam in 3 weeks, and she's failed it 2 times before.  She does fine on the written part of the exam, but never passes the oral part in front of the panel of examiners.  The questions can be about her experience in a bilingual public school, current events, or even personal stories.  Both the directora and the jefa de estudios at my school are super friendly and loveable.  While we were talking about the board of examiners, Elena, the jefa, leaned over and asked me how I was doing at Castaneras. That was the first time in my 4 months at the school that someone had asked me how I liked it.  She also told me that she had worked in another elementary school in Arroyomolinos 4 years ago and fell in love with the town.  She told her then-boyfriend, "When we get married, we are going to move to this town."  They got married 6 months ago and moved back here.  She doesn't know many people here because all of her family and friends are back in Torrejon, and she told me I should come over her house for a coffee sometime.  Every day I feel more and more a part of this weird little town.

Arroyomolinos
4. Every day, one of my students comes up to me and tells me they saw me walking to school, in the supermarket, or waiting for the bus.  The other day, a 1st grader told me, "Niki! Yesterday, I saw you! I was in the car. I saw you through the window but I couldn't get it downnnnnnnn!!!" as if it was the most agonizing thing in the world.

5. I've become kind of attached to my school moms (especially Andrea & Alba's mom).  This week alone she gave me 3 tupperware containers of different types of soup, a mini-cheesecake, chocolate, and doughnuts.  She has also decided that I have to come back next year and won't take no for an answer.  Carlos & Alvaro's mom always gives me a ride home if she sees me walking since she lives the closest to me.  When I told her I fell down the stairs in my house she told me, "You have to be careful chica, Do you want to kill yourself?!"

6. One of the first things I noticed when I got to Arroyomolinos was that it had a desert-ish climate.  Its really cold and windy at night, but during the day is hot and dry. I never saw bugs, but I saw lots of little lizards.  After not seeing a single bug for months, a HUGE fly-bug-monster-thing flew in the bathroom window while I was in the shower today. I had an irrational FREAK OUT....but it eventually found the window and I shut it out with a spastic slam.

7. I discovered that if you're ever feeling down all you have to do is watch some Chayanne music videos.  They are hysterical.


No comments:

Post a Comment