Wednesday, February 2, 2011

VICTORY!!!

The experience of working at Camp Walden this past summer can be summed up as 9 and a half weeks of people making me think I was horrible at working with kids.

Well, let me tell you....I have a 1st grader who suffers from such painful shyness that he's too embarassed to talk in class (to anyone) or do his work.  He is one of the cutest, tiniest, most adorable kids in the class.  Most of the kids scream "Niki, Niki, Niki, Niki, Niki" over and over again before even considering reading the directions or figuring out an activity by themselves.  If this boy EVER calls my name, I immediately go help him because I know it took so much energy for him to summon up the courage.  Today, his parents had to go in for a parent-teacher meeting, and his 2nd grade sister told me they might change schools since her brother is having such a hard time.  Well, guess what.....he stayed with me in the tutoria the whole time.  We played computer games and I showed him pictures of my family in America.  His mom came to pick him up and said, "You were talking to Niki?!?!?!" because she was so surprised he was actually talking to someone.

See Camp Walden! I am good with kids! so HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment